FUNCTIONAL BEHAVIOR ASSESSMENT
The purpose of a Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA) is to identify the functions of the consumer’s problem behaviors and the environmental variables and contingent relations impacting those behaviors. Upon completion of the assessment process by a Board Certified Behavior Analyst, Behavioral Concepts provides a comprehensive report detailing recommendations for proactive and reactive strategies in the management of maladaptive behaviors, recommendations for teaching age-appropriate functional skills, goals for the intervention team, and a positive behavior intervention plan.
Goal of the functional assessment:
- Identify and define challenging behaviors
- Identify the times, events, and situations that predict when a behavior will and will not occur
- Determine what results occur and how these results may be maintaining the problem behavior
- Identify appropriate alternative and adaptive behaviors
- Establish a hypothesis that will be used to create goals and develop a positive behavior plan